Monday, May 30, 2011

Exercise and Arthritis

It can be difficult to find appropriate exercise when you have arthritis. My first instinct when I got sick and starting to experiencing pain from arthritis was to stop exercising and rest. For several weeks I didn't exercise and rested a lot. I thought I would get better if my body would get enough rest. Sadly that didn't happened. So I started to exercise again but things had changed. What just to be good for me left me now in pain. For example before I got the arthritis I sometimes went hiking which gave me great pleasure. After I got arthritis, hiking leaves me unable to walk for week. Therefore it was necessary to find new exercise. It is very important to find a exercise that doesn't leave the body in worse shape then it was in before. I for instance have to be very careful of what type of exercise I do. If I would go running, my knees, hips and feet would cry for days. 


For me swimming has turned out to be the best exercise. In Iceland almost every place has a swimming pool. My husband and I are in Akureyri this week. The best thing about Akureyri is definitely the swimming pool. 



Few benefits of swimming

  • good stamina training
  • almost none pressure on joints 
  • it's a exercise for the whole body
  • excellent muscle training because of the water resistance 

No comments: